The trace graph shows you the sequence of requests, with spans grouped into node blocks that include parent and child spans.
You can display the graph color-coded by service, duration time, or by parent span self time. Hover over a span in the graph to see its details.
- Click to view the graph legend. Each box includes the following information:
- Total time shows the duration of parent and child spans and presents the span time as a percentage of total trace duration
- Selftime shows the duration for the parent span and presents the parent span selftime as a percentage of span total time
- Count/Error shows the total call count vs. the total error count
- Click the options to see the trace graph colored by:
- Service - default view
- Total time - Total duration of the span, including the time spent waiting on child spans
- Self time - Trace duration of the span, not including the time spent waiting on child spans
Comparing the time and selftime for a span may provide insights into latency issues for child spans.
The default for Trace Graph mode is the Service view, which displays the services in the trace.
- Search for text in any view.
Select the Time view to highlight the longest durations for parent spans. This view includes the time spent waiting for child spans.
Select the Selftime view to highlight the longest times for parent spans when they are not waiting on child spans. Example: A 10ms span that includes two 4ms non-overlapping children will have a self-time = 10ms - (2 x 4ms) = 2ms
The darker the highlight color in the Time and Selftime views, the longer the span duration.